31 January 2011

"It's Not Your Fault, Weight Gain, Obesity and Food Addiction" {Review & Giveaway}

Authors: Emanuel Barling, Jr., Esq. and Ashley F. Brooks, R.N.
ISBN: 978-1-4327-6664-1
Publisher: Outskirts Press
230 Pages

I was recently asked to review "It's Not Your Fault, Weight Gain, Obesity and Food Addiction" By Emanuel Barling, Jr., Esq. and Ashley F. Brooks, RN.  I'm not a huge book fan.  Only because I rarely get the time to finish one.  But, I have on occasion taken the opportunity to review those I find interesting, fascinating and educational. 

What drew me to "It's Not Your Fault, Weight Gain, Obesity and Food Addiction", was the title.  Hello NOT my fault..OK why?

Written by a Husband and Wife team both determined to find out why they were struggling so hard with weight-loss.   While neither is a doctor, this books is filled with their research and backed with studies.


Back Cover:
American obesity rates are the highest in the world. Sixty-eight percent of adults are categorized as overweight. One-third of them are diagnosed as clinically obese. There are nearly 7 million overweight and obese children in the U.S. today. Childhood obesity statistics show that obese children have a 70% chance of becoming obese adults. The percentage increases to 80% if either one or both parents is obese as well.

Americans did not get fat overnight nor did some mosquito spread a deadly virus that causes obesity. Eating until becoming obese is now the leader in American addictions surpassing cigarettes and alcohol. There are tangible reasons why Americans are gaining weight, becoming obese or cannot lose it. The so-called "healthy foods" you're eating are making you fat and ill.

The research cited in the Reference section proves that weight gain and obesity are the result of an addiction to many chemical food ingredients, the dangers of genetically modified fruits and vegetables and the damage to the human body caused by foods containing synthetic growth hormones, carcinogens and antibiotics found in factory farmed meats and dairy. We ask and answer the questions: Are you eating a lot of salads but still gaining weight? Juicing and still gaining weight? Drinking so-called health food shakes to lose weight without success? Changing your diet so often you feel like a yo-yo? Can't stop eating? Finding working out impossible because you are getting too overweight to walk, jog or exercise for very long? Are you considering a drastic means to lose weight such as liposuction, gastric bypass or lap-band surgeries?

PLEASE STOP NOW. It's Not Your Fault!
Review:
This book was compiled very well.  It will really open your eyes to a lot of key factors of weight gain and ultimately obesity.  If you've ever had an addiction, be it cigarettes {guilty}, alcohol or illegal drugs, the comparison this book is making to food is almost identical.  The urge to have that burger or piece of cake is actually the craving of the food additive in the burger or cake.   Thus, leading to a chemical dependency to the food.

We've all heard that MSG is bad.  Monosodium glutamate, or MSG, is the primary cause of weight gain and obesity in the US.  In the 60's scientists had evidence that it had serious side effects, leading to neurological disorders, birth defects in addition to weight gain and obesity.  So here's the kicker with that:
t's found in 150 different ingredient names and is injected into more than 9000 different canned, bottled, frozen and packaged foods.
And just because a label says "No MSG" they may actually have it hidden in the ingredients!  Scary.


The book also goes over genetically modified fruits and vegetables in the US....
After reviewing more than 600 scientific journals it was shown that genetically modified organisms {GMO} was deteriorating Americans health!

In the first 9 years after the large scale introduction of GMO crops in 1996, the incidence of people with three or more chronic diseases nearly doubled, from 7% to 13%.
Europe has banned any importing of GMO foods including our spices!  It was surveyed that 90% of European shoppers would double their travel to another grocery store to avoid buying GMO products.

In Japan over 2 million people signed petitions to ban American soy products because its genetically modified!

The Church of Scotland called US practices unethical because we are NOT given the choice.  "It smacks of imperialism!"

Here in the US we have more than 99% of all crops being genetically modified.  These crops are sprayed up to 16 times with 36 different pesticides before being picked. 

Here's another I found shocking.  High fructose corn syrup.  Thought all was fine in moderation?  Not only is it a "highly addictive chemical additive", but it is the leading contributor to weight gain and obesity.  It does so by messing up your brains ability to control appetite and metabolism. 

This book covers so much.  I wish I could share with you everything. One thing I think that stands out the most with me after reading this is, when you have a food you find yourself craving like crazy...  maybe jonesing for ... replace it with an organic version.  Taking out those additives that makes us have a chemical dependency.

Chapters:
  1. "Are Wight Gain and Obesity the Result of Behavioral Issues or Chemiacal Physical Addiction?"
  2. "What are the Effects on Your Brain of Food Ingredients?"
  3. "The Effects on Your Body of Chemical Ingredients"
  4. "How do MSG, Maltodextrin and Other Food Ingredients Contribute to Weight Gain and Obesity?"
  5. "Why Does High Fructose COrn Syrup (Corn Sugar) Contribute to Weight Gain and Obesity?"
  6. "Sugar, Salt Trans Fatty Acids and Other Food Ingredients That Contribute to Weight Gain and Obesity"
  7. "Are Genetically Modified Fruits and Vegetables Contributing to Weight Gain and Obesity?"
  8. "Why do Meat From Factory Farmed Animals Cause Weight Gain and Obesity?"
  9.  "How do GMO Foods, MSG and Other Ingredients Affect Prgnant Mothers and Their Children?"
  10. Epilogue 


The book ends with 12 Steps of the "Its not your fault" Dieting Rules, A Partial List of Hidden Sources of MSG, A Partial List of Hidden Sources of High Fructose Corn Syrup Found in Fast Foods, A Partial List of Hidden Sources of High Fructose Corn Syrup, A List of Corn Allergens and the top 50 Food Manufacturers & Processors in the US & their Lobbying Associations.

This really was one of the most fascinating and eye opening books I've read. 
Buy It:
Available on Amazon
It's Not Your Fault: Weight Gain, Obesity and Food Addiction $28.45

Win It:
I would love to pass this on to one of you!  Open to Everyone!

Mandatory Entry:
Must be a GFC Follower Leave me a comment about your struggles or who you think would benefit.
♥Extra Entries: {Worth 2 each}

  1. Friend me on Facebook
  2. Like Me on Facebook
  3. Follow me on Twitter
  4. Follow me on Networked Blogs
  5. Subscribe via Email {Right Hand Side}
  6. Grab my cute button {Right Hand Side}
Giveaway Ends 2/21/11

I was given of the above product{s} for my honest review. The opinions are my own & were in no way swayed by the free product.  I was not financially compensated for this.

57 comments:

  1. I follow you on GFC(5webs), and even though I do not struggle with my weight, I am very, very interested in researching why and how GMOs and other additives adversely affect our health as a nation. I would love to read this book.
    Alicia Webster
    5webs@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I subscribe via E-mail
    Alicia Webster
    5webs@comcast.net
    1

    ReplyDelete
  3. I subscribe via E-mail
    Alicia Webster
    5webs@comcast.net
    2

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a GFC follower

    I am at a perpetual plateau. I can't eat enough to convince my body it is not starving so remain in starvation mode all the time.

    lkish77123 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I follow you via GFC
    couponinggirl at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am friends with you on FB
    Heather SAving
    couponinggirl at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like you on FB
    Heather Saving
    couponinggirl at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I follow you via twitter
    @hford5302
    couponinggirl at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I follow you via networked blogs
    Heather saving
    couponinggirl at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I subscribe via email
    couponinggirl at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Friended you on Facebook ;)
    Clownscrytoo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Liked you on Facebook ;)
    Clownscrytoo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Proud Email Subscriber ;)
    Clownscrytoo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. gfc follower
    My weight issue is hereditary, and I am always looking for additional help and ideas to get the last bit of weight off and to inspire me to keep it off!
    ruthaw_1974@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. your facebook friend
    ruthhill74

    ReplyDelete
  16. like you on facebook
    ruthhill74

    ReplyDelete
  17. networked blogs follower
    ruthhill74

    ReplyDelete
  18. i follow you gfc and i think my mom would benefit from this book- i've started ww and i;m doing great
    tcogbill at live dot com

    ReplyDelete
  19. i get your emails 1

    ReplyDelete
  20. i get your emails 2
    tcogbill at live dot com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm a follower. And a fat girl, and I shouldn't be. I eat 1600 calories a day and I'm breast feeding and I work out all the freaking time.

    I don't get it.
    covert_family at yahoo dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I sent you a friend request on Facebook Heather Covert McCarthy
    covert_family At yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I liked your facebook page Heather Covert McCarthy.

    covert_family at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I follow you on twitter @lovinangels.
    covert_family at yahoo dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  25. sign me up, I'd could use this one, I'd gain, and I'd loose and gain again, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  26. GFC'd. I have struggled with weight my entire life, and 4 months ago hit my alltime high (well over 300 pounds). I've veen working with as nutritionist and have lost 31 pounds so far but I have a looong way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I already Like you on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  28. I already Like you on Facebook

    ReplyDelete
  29. simplydab is already subscribed to the mailing list of Reviews and Giveaways

    ReplyDelete
  30. simplydab is already subscribed to the mailing list of Reviews and Giveaways

    ReplyDelete
  31. GFC follower katklaw777 at yahoo dot com
    I'd luv to read this book...I have always struggled with my weight, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I follow you on GFC (Donna Hunt). I would benefit the most with this book. I have struggled with my weight all my life and have managed to lose 11 lbs. so far this year--no easy task for someone over 40. Thank you for the giveaway!

    amberrose95{at}gmail{dot}com

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am a gfc follower. I have struggled with my weight my whole life. Part of it, was because of an extremely abusive and neglectful childhood. I still have weight issues as an adult.
    debbie
    twoofakind12@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. GFC follower amied027. I would benefit from this book. I am an overeater and my weight is a daily struggle. Thanks! ard1977@gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  35. FB friend a rene denning. ard1977@gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  36. twitter follower @amied027. ard1977@gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  37. like you on FB a rene denning. ard1977@gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  38. I am a follower; this would be for my neighbor!

    edgenemmers@gmaill.com

    ReplyDelete
  39. I do good until the one day I have emotional eatting. It sets me back the entire week or two weeks worth of weight loss

    ReplyDelete
  40. i struggle with losing weight because i tend to be overweight
    susansmoaks at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  41. I follow with GFC. I can't seem to lose weight because I am hungry all the time. I thought I was just eating from boredom, but perhaps not.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I am following you on GFC (Charlene).My hubby struggles with his weight and needs to lose some

    CharlieGurl57(at)aol(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  43. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  44. I am a friend on Facebook (Charlene Kuser)

    CharlieGurl57(at)aol(dot)com
    #1

    ReplyDelete
  45. I am a friend on Facebook (Charlene Kuser)

    CharlieGurl57(at)aol(dot)com
    #2

    ReplyDelete
  46. I Like you on Facebook (Charlene Kuser)

    CharlieGurl57(at)aol(dot)com
    #1

    ReplyDelete
  47. I Like you on Facebook (Charlene Kuser)

    CharlieGurl57(at)aol(dot)com
    #2

    ReplyDelete
  48. I am following you on Twitter (@Swtlilchick)

    CharlieGurl57(at)aol(dot)com
    #1

    ReplyDelete
  49. I am following you on Twitter (@Swtlilchick)

    CharlieGurl57(at)aol(dot)com
    #2

    ReplyDelete
  50. I am a subscriber via email

    CharlieGurl57(at)aol(dot)com
    #1

    ReplyDelete
  51. I am a subscriber via email

    CharlieGurl57(at)aol(dot)com
    #2

    ReplyDelete